Thursday, September 21, 2006

 
Go Slingers!

Singapore now has its own professional basketball team that plays in the Australian National Basketball League. They're called the Singapore Slingers and last night was their opening match against the Adelaide 36ers.

Growing up watching the LA Lakers of the 1980s on TV, I decided to buy courtside seats (right on the hardwood, so close you receive a warning sheet not to interfere with play) and see what the Singapore experience would be like. It was great!

Everything was made to be just like the American NBA. All the sounds for substitution of players, rousing music when we score, funny sound effects when the opposing team misses, drum beat & people shouting "De-fense! De-fense!" were exactly the same as the NBA on TV. The Slingers even have their own cute professional cheerleaders!

And the best part? WE WON! Slingers beat the 36ers 98 - 91. Of course, all the players are imports, mostly from the US or Australia (there are 2 local Singaporean players but neither of time played last night, maybe next time).

So this morning, I bought season tickets. Courtside of course. I now feel like Jack Nicholson with his season courtside tickets to LA Lakers home games. The guy next to me last night said he bought his season tickets 6 months ago. Looks like I'll be seeing him at every home game at the Indoor Stadium from now through February. And then hopefully the Slingers make it to the playoffs!

The only strange thing? Our mascot. A guy in a white costume with a merlion head, dreadlocks, a tail (that's stiff and looks like another hand really) and webbed feet. It wasn't pretty. This morning I suddenly realised what was so unsettling about the mascot - from the waist up, he looks as Predator! Oh well, as long as I see the cheerleaders in front of me more often than him I'll be fine I guess.

Comments:
Hmm, maybe I should bring forward my little jaunt back to Singland and join you in the courtside stand...;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?