Monday, June 18, 2007

 
One Out of Every Three

"We delivered the letter", said my Associate. It was 9pm and he had just returned from an errand to deliver a letter to the woman who had been harassing my client with incessant telephone calls, smses and emails.

"Good! Any trouble?", I replied. The client had told her he would meet her at the lobby of an office building but he didn't show up. Instead, it was just a ruse to get her there so that we could serve the letter on her. As you might guess, the letter just told her to leave our client alone, or else ...

"No trouble. She was confused and then annoyed but it was otherwise ok", replied the Associate.

"Good! Thanks", I said and returned to reading the documents on my desk, expecting the Associate to leave my room.

"By the way, she's hot!" said the Associate and smiled at me.

"Really? It's a good thing I didn't meet her then or I might have been put in a position of serious conflict of interest!" I was joking of course.

"Yeah really", said the Associate, "in fact, this is the third hot girl I've met today!", he said, really pleased with himself.

"Who were the other two?"

"Well, the first was another junior Associate at another law firm. I was later told by someone that she appeared in Maxim magazine recently. The second was the Subordinate Courts Deputy Registrar I appeared before for a small application this morning and then now this girl I just delivered the letter to!"

I sat back and thought about it for a bit and said to him, "Do you know what this shows?"

"No ..."

"It shows that for every three girls you meet, one will be too hot for you, one will be too smart for you and one will be too nuts for you", I explained. "And do you know what the consequence of that is?"

This time he was determined to figure out the answer, "It means I'm better off not meeting any hot girls and I should just stay in the office and work?"

He learns fast. I think he'll do well in the firm.

Comments:
This is just great. The poor woman gets dressed and all gussied up expecting a hot date and a good time, and she gets a lawyer's letter instead.

The Associate should thank his lucky stars that she didn't send him back with his balls stuffed down his throat. Or his throat, stuffed down his balls.
 
She couldn't have been expecting "a hot date & a good time" with my client. My client is one of the shareholders of her former employer & she has been bugging him to help her find new employment. He told her he wanted to meet her only to have one final conversation with her.

In those circumstances, I think my Associate would have survived intact (and he did). Besides, if he can't even handle one pissed off hot girl, how is he ever going to be an effective litigator who may have to piss off thousands of people for the sake of arguing a client's case in future? :)
 
Good grief. I think the problem here is the client. How come he needs a lawyer to ask an ex-employee (not even his ex-employee, but of a company in which he is only one of the shareholders) to stop calling him.

Has he never tried to buy a house? Never had girls call him up for a date? Never had his mother try to wake him up in the morning?

HD
 
Ok look, First of all, as a lawyer, I am never in favour of anyone doing anything without assistance from a lawyer. Encouraging people to do things themselves would be like killing my own business.

And Secondly, I'm very busy so please just leave me alone. I've just received instructions from the client to send cease & desist letters to his property agent, girls who call him out for dates and his Mom ...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?